Full Time/30 Hours per week
San Bernardino with travel to our Victorville office & throughout the county.
BE THE VOICE OF ROLLING START! Rolling Start, Inc., Center for Independent Living (RSI) is a 501 c (3) not-for-profit organization that provides advocacy and services to people with all types of disabilities. The mission of RSI is to educate and empower people with disabilities to achieve the independent life of their choice. We have been serving San Bernardino county for 44 years. RSI is looking for a Systems Change Advocate to join our team and broaden our local and statewide advocacy efforts.
The Advocate will community organize RSI consumers and stakeholder partners on a variety of issues impacting people with disabilities such as housing, transportation, health care, emergency preparedness, youth outreach, voting, and accessibility. The Advocate will attend meetings, public hearings and statewide events; they will be the voice of RSI! They will be responsible for recruiting, training, and facilitating volunteers and groups. The Advocate will work with RSI consumers to develop and strengthen self-advocacy skills so they can effect change on issues personally affecting them.
The candidate must be an energetic and passionate advocate, enjoy public policy, have excellent communication and writing skills and have the ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively in groups. This currently is being offered as a full-time position at 30 hours a week; based in the city of San Bernardino, with travel to our Victorville office & throughout the county.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to understand and implement Independent Living philosophy;
- Ability to advocate for people with disabilities and train others in self-advocacy;
- Ability to promote and clearly explain the services that RSI offers to consumers, other businesses and organizations through community outreach and/or virtual events;
- Ability to effectively manage conflicts and resolve conflicts successfully;
- Ability to research information, understand legislation, define problems, collect/analyze data, establish facts, and draw reasonable conclusions and solutions on issues effecting older adults and people with disabilities and be able to share this information in individual and/or group settings;
- Facilitate disability awareness training to other community organizations;
- Facilitate training to consumers on community organizing, letter writing, legislative contacts/visits and other way of affecting systems change;
- Be an active participant in the DO (Disability Organizing) Network, and collaborate with the Systems Change Hub Coordinator, and the SCA’s throughout the state;
- Ability to understand and implement the organization’s policies and procedures;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and confidential information.
Skills and Qualifications:
- AA degree or higher and/or some combination of college and social services, human services, communication or related field;
- 2-4 years related professional experience;
- Experience working with people with disabilities and/or older adults, preferably in an Independent Living Center or aging and adult services organization.
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Skill in using Microsoft Office applications in a PC environment;
- Capable of working at a computer work-station for long periods of time
- Must possess the ability to interact effectively (influence, exchange and communicate information so it is understood) with consumers, employees at all levels of the organization as well as those outside the
organization and provide appropriate communication to the target audience.
- Travel to various meetings locally, regional and statewide*;
- Participate in conference rallies and conference calls.
*Due to the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic, RSI team members are following mask and social distancing guidelines with minimal in-person meetings. Anticipate a hybrid (virtual/in-person) model until our county/state determines it is safe to do otherwise.
Rolling Start Inc. offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision & life insurance. We also offer twelve (12) paid holidays and paid vacation time.
People with disabilities and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: