Job Title: Outreach Coordinator/Public Program Enrollment (Non-Exempt) Full Time Employment
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Pay Rate: 16-20 hourly
Rolling Start, Inc., Center for Independent Living (RSI) is a 501 c (3) not-for-profit organization that provides advocacy and services to people with all types of disabilities. The mission of RSI is to educate and empower people with disabilities to achieve the independent life of their choice. We have been serving San Bernardino County for 44 years and also provide services in Inyo and Mono Counties.
The Outreach Coordinator for public program enrollment will lead the Rolling Start’s efforts to enroll consumers into programs such as Cal Fresh- (AKA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), Cal Works and Medi-Cal. This position will work with the Executive Director/Program Manager to conduct outreach and enrollment activities while promoting a culture of healthy living and motivating participants to take action and enroll. The Outreach Coordinator will enroll income qualified people who reside in our service area.
These responsibilities also include creating and maintaining a strong partnership between food banks and other community organizations and agencies with a focus on people with disabilities and older adults in order to provide exceptional outreach and assistance to consumers in need of these benefits.
The Outreach Coordinator will maintain an up‐to‐date knowledge and understanding of these programs and tracking requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Become fully knowledgeable in Cal Fresh related to Rolling Start’s contract requirements and policies set by the California Department of Social Services;
● Provide detailed explanations, both written and verbal, of benefits to people who may be eligible for Cal Fresh, Cal Works, and Medi-Cal and provide information at our partner agencies. This includes outreach to all who qualify for these programs. Outreach methods will include, but are not limited to calling RSI consumers, working on strategic campaigns with relevant organizations, table events, public speaking, prescreening for program eligibility and scheduling application assistance appointments;
● Provide Cal Fresh, Cal Works, or Medi-Cal application assistance; At these appointments, refer to an Independent Living Specialist if consumer can benefit from other RSI programs and services;
● Provide assistance with annual renewals for Cal Fresh, Cal Works, and Medi-Cal;
● Follow‐up and communicate with potential applicants, volunteers, and partner agencies;
● Ensure the tracking tool is updated with every consumer application;
● Work with other RSI staff on advocacy efforts to improve Cal Fresh program
● Identify barriers that prevent applicants of from fully utilizing the programs benefits. Participate in on‐going learning and training related to the Cal Fresh, Cal Works, and Medi-Cal programs and share these changes with the rest of the staff.
Skills and Qualifications:
● Two (2) years of college in Human Services or knowledge of Cal Fresh and other government programs;
● Experience in public speaking and customer service;
● Demonstrated knowledge of the Independent Living philosophy, disability issues and culture;
● Working knowledge of SSI and other social security benefits;
● Experience working with community based/nonprofit organizations helpful;
● Ability to handle multiple tasks, work with diverse groups of individuals, and meet deadlines;
● Must have dependable transportation for travel throughout the service area and occasionally other parts of the State of California;
● Ability to set own priorities and work independently;
● Professional written and oral communication skills. Knowledge of social media helpful;
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs;
● Fluent in English; Spanish and Sign Language a plus;
● Customer Service—demonstrates the ability to respond with a high degree of urgency to the needs and request of others, internally and externally. Understand the impact of your work and attitudes on others. Have empathy and be able to work with diverse groups of people;
● Maintain constructive relationships and demonstrate respect for everyone contacted;
● Accurately provide and receive information in oral and written communications;
● Provide ideas, opinions, or information in an articulate, professional way;
● Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions and priorities;
● Contribute to a positive, action‐oriented work environment
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
● Ability to work on a computer for long periods of time;
● Ability to lift and carry materials weighing up to 20 lbs.;
● Ability to attend occasional weekend or evening meeting and events;
● Some travel may be required.
Licensing and Certification Requirements:
● A valid driver’s license issued by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles is required.
● Proof of auto Insurance is required.
Rolling Start, Inc. celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, email your resume along with a cover letter to [email protected] with the subject heading Outreach Coordinator.